Monday, July 15, 2013

April 2013 Bloodtests

At my April 2013 appointment, I was sent home with paperwork to have a blood test done on Day 21 of my cycle. The test would check out my progesterone levels (which should have been high), my thyroid (should be normal) and do a pregnancy test (you know, just to make sure, since clearly the doctor thinks I can't pee on a stick).

Unfortunately, because of my irregular cycles, my April appointment fell on day 43 of my cycle. Yup, I hadn't started a period since the end of the Mirena Crash in late Feb. So, I had to wait for my cycle to begin, and then wait another 21 days before I could take the blood test.

Luckily, the period started a week after the appointment, which put my blood test the first week in May.

The pregnancy test came back negative (no surprise there).

The thyroid test came back SLIGHTLY elevated (nothing to worry about there).

The progesterone levels came back at a little over 1... where it should have been at least a 10. Levels that low likely meant I did not ovulate.

The nurse practitioner though, came back all hunky dory and said "likely this is just a fluke." I was quite upset, because a progestrone imbalance is a) able to be addressed with medication and b) would cause my irregular cycles (since progestrone levels stimulate the body to do different parts of the cycle). It would explain so many things.

The nurse practitioner also said "you can get another bloodtest if you want, but I'm going to refer you to your general practitioner." This felt VERY odd to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment