Monday, July 15, 2013

Gynecologist Selection

Way back in 2005, when I moved to the town I'm in up in the Pacific Northwest, I got a new gynecologist. He was in his 60s, and not really my style. But, I had a lump in my breast, needed an annual, and wanted an appointment sooner rather than later and his practice was with the overall healthcare group that I liked.

After getting the lump checked out (via ultrasound-- determined benign!) and getting the annual out of the way, I switched to the other doctor in his practice after one more annual with this doctor. I switched to a female (never had a female GYN before, thought that'd be nice). So, for 2007,2008, and 2009, I switched to her. Something just seemed off with her though...I finally did some digging and found out that she had a preference in treating women her age (late 50s, early 60s) and dealing with menopause. Well, that wasn't me.

Around that time in 2010, I was at a friend's house, and she had recently switched to a Midwifery Center by our local hospital. Apparently, they LOVE to care for women in regular care long before they get pregnant because they greatly enjoy having a pre-established relationship with someone before they get pregnant. I thought that this practice was where I wanted to be when I did eventually have a child, so this set-up seemed perfect. Plus, I had many people recommend their practice and had used their facilities to have their children.

However, this meant that most of my visits for annuals were with midwives (whom were also nurse practitioners). When I was going through my Mirena Crash, it became evident that they really weren't as equipped as they should have been to handle things that fell outside the purview of "normal" (Unless it came to pregnancy complications, I guess).

This is why, after the things that happened for the next several months, I switched doctors. More to come on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment