Monday, July 15, 2013

Late November 2012: Jumping into the deep end of the pool

In November 2012, my husband (B) and I decided to jump feet first into the deep end of the pool and stop birth control. After years of being on birth control, this felt very rash and irresponsible-- sex without birth control? I mean, what if we got pregnant?! Well, that was the point.

In all honesty, it was a dramatic 180 degree reversal. All my life before that point, it had been "DON'T get pregnant." College then grad school then early professional. My life before this point (I was about to turn 31) was "Don't get pregnant." I had seen friends and others experience the joy of parent hood, and also the expense and time. I knew, desperately, that I wanted to be a mother someday, but mid to late 20s was not the time frame.

So, to go from "no pregnancy desired now" to "pregnancy desired NOW!" was a dramatic switch. Don't get me wrong, it was a decision we built up to, excitedly. But pulling the plug and going off birth control is a 180 degree action. With birth control= likely no kids. Without = anything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment