Monday, July 15, 2013

Mid-June 2013: GYN Appointment

At my new gynecologist appointment (a mere 4 days after getting the wrong results from my GP, whom I had been referred to by my inept nurse practitioner in early April), I was pretty honest. Here's pretty much what I said:

Look, I'm not trying to be pushy or impatient. But, I've had two blood tests now where I'm not ovulating. I've never had a positive ovulation test (more on that in another post). None of the other signs (mucus, etc) have ever been positive. I don't think I'm ovulating. That's not me worrying about it, that's just me looking at the facts. I don't want to wait the requisite "year of trying before seeking help" if I know that trying to get pregnant will not be effective. That's like telling someone to drive somewhere but they don't have a car. No matter how hard they try, they're not going to get there by driving. I want to be cautiously proactive here. I don't want to waste more months.

The GYN did an exam (I hadn't yet had my annual, so we were able to do some annual stuff associated with the appointment for insurance purposes). She then discussed my options.

  • Wait and do more progesterone blood tests, though since it had already been 14 months since my majorly hormonal birth control was removed and 6.5 months since my Mirena was removed, it likely wasn't going to have a major change from my body normalizing (since that normalizing should have already happened), OR
  • Be put on Clomid, a drug which specifically treats women who are not ovulating due to hormonal imbalances (me... at least, we hope there's nothing else wrong).
I decided that since I'd waited a while since the birth control removal and had a lot of cycle problems and then two blood tests indicating I was likely not ovulating, CLOMID WAS THE WAY.

The doctor told me that I would start Clomid on day 5 of my next cycle (my appointment fell on day 27 of my cycle, so hopefully, that wouldn't be too far off). I would take one pill every morning per day, from day 5 to day 10. Thereafter, I would monitor and note my LH levels using ovulation kits which predict ovulation. She also told me the Clomid may/should help in regulating my cycle length. 

So now, the wait was on to start my next cycle....

No comments:

Post a Comment